The Abbeyfied Societies in Scotland Limited
Photo of a typical locationAbbeyfield Society in Scotland LogoAbbeyfield Society in Scotland Logo

Personal Care Provision in Scotland

Free personal care is available for everyone aged 65 and over in Scotland who have been assessed by the local authority as needing it.

Free nursing care is available for people of any age who have been assessed as requiring nursing care services.


To receive personal care services from your local Health Care Partnership or receive payments to allow you to choose who will provide the services to you, you should contact your local Health Care Partnership to have your care needs assessed. The types of personal care provided will vary according to your assessed care needs.

Free Personal Care is paid to the care provider by the local Health Care Partnership of the local authority area in which the person resided prior to moving into care. It is important therefore to try to ensure that initial discussions are carried out with that service before a move is made and especially if a change of local authority area is involved.

If you already live in a care home the local authority will assess whether you need these services.

If the local authority agrees that you should receive personal care, your local authority will pay £193.50 per week (rate applicable from 1st April 2021) on your behalf directly to your care provider. (From 1st April 2020 to 31st March 2021 the amount was £180.00 per week.)

If you require nursing care, your local authority will pay £281.00 per week. (From 1st April 2020 to 31st March 2021 the amount was £261.00 per week.)

Payments of free personal and nursing care made by the local authority direct to the care provider are not liable to income tax.

The local Health Care Partnership will assess you for:

  • Personal Hygiene - Bathing, showering, hair washing, shaving, oral hygiene, nail care
  • Continence Management Toileting, catheter/stoma care, skin care, incontinence laundry, bed changing
  • Food and Diet Assistance with the preparation of food and assistance with the fulfilment of special dietary needs
  • Problems with Immobility Dealing with the consequences of being immobile or substantially immobile
  • Counselling and Support Behaviour management, psychological support, reminding devices
  • Simple Treatments Assistance with medication (including eye drops), application of creams and lotions, simple dressings, oxygen therapy
  • Personal Assistance Assistance with dressing, surgical appliances, prostheses, mechanical and manual aids. Assistance to get up and go to bed. Transfers including the use of a hoist

The Scottish Governments document "Finding the Care That is Right for You" gives information on care and support services for older people in Scotland either for themselves or a relative. It will also be helpful for those providing unpaid care:

Finding the Care That is Right For You: Information about care services to support older people living in Scotland

If you have been assessed as needing personal and nursing care you will receive the allowance regardless of income, capital assets, or marital or civil partner status. However, when you live in a residential or nursing care home you will need to contribute towards your remaining accommodation costs